Insect Stings and Allergic Reactions
Avoiding insect stings may not always be possible. However, knowing how to respond if your child has an allergic reaction from an insect sting could provide more peace of mind in the event of an emergency.
Insect stings that most commonly cause allergic reactions
Insects that are members of the Hymenoptera family most commonly cause allergic reactions. These include the following:
What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to an insect sting?
For most children who are stung by an insect, the reaction is short-lived, with redness and swelling followed by pain and itching. Generally, the reaction lasts only a few hours, although some may last longer. For others, however, allergic reactions to these insect stings can be life-threatening. This severe reaction is a medical emergency that can involve organ systems throughout the body. The reaction is called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and can include severe symptoms such as the following:
Itching and hives over most of the body
Swelling of the throat and tongue
Difficulty in breathing and tightness in the chest
Stomach cramps, nausea, or diarrhea
Rapid drop in blood pressure
Loss of consciousness
Hoarse voice or swelling of the tongue
Call 911. Immediate medical attention is required.
Can insect stings be prevented?
Avoidance of insects is the best preventive measure. Suggestions for helping your child avoid insect stings include the following:
When outdoors, make sure children who have severe reactions wear socks, shoes, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts.
When outdoors, make sure your child is careful if eating or drinking uncovered foods or beverages, which can attract insects.
Keep your child from going barefoot. He or she should wear closed-toe shoes when walking in grassy areas.
When playing outdoors, make sure you and your child watch for insect nests in trees, shrubs, and flower beds. Other areas in which to use caution include swimming pools, woodpiles, under eaves of houses, and trash containers.
Treatment for insect stings
Specific treatment for insect stings will be determined by your child's health care provider based on the following:
Your child's age, overall health, and medical history
Extent of the reaction
Your child's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
Expectations for the course of the reaction
Your opinion or preference
If your child has had a serious reaction to an insect sting, make an appointment with an allergist. An allergist can perform skin testing, diagnose your allergy, and determine the best form of treatment. In some cases, insect venom allergy shots (or immunotherapy) are very effective.
Suggestions for immediate treatment for highly allergic children include the following:
When possible, immediately remove the stinger using a pair of tweezers. Try not to squeeze the stinger, which may force the venom into the body. Still, speedy removal is the most important step.
Call your child's health care provider if he or she gets multiple stings, or if hives develop in a part of the body away from the sting itself.
Have your child wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace if he or she is allergic to bees or insects.
Raise the affected arm or leg.
Apply ice or a cold compress to reduce swelling and pain.
Clean the area with soap and water.
Apply a topical steroid cream to the site of the sting to relieve itching.
Give your child a dose of an oral antihistamine, like diphenhydramine (Benadryl), to relieve itching and prevent a more significant allergic reaction.
An emergency treatment kit containing life saving adrenaline (prescribed by your child's health care provider) should be kept nearby at all times. Consult your child's doctor about what it should include.
Call 911 and seek emergency care for your child as soon as possible.
Online Medical Reviewer: MMI board-certified, academically affiliated clinician
Online Medical Reviewer: Pierce-Smith, Daphne, RN, MSN, CCRC
Last Review Date: 08/27/2014
© 2000-2014 The StayWell Company, LLC. 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.