Arkansas Children's Hospital Careers About Arkansas Children's Hospital Contact Us News
Patients and Families Healthcare Professionals Supporters
Published Date: August 29, 2013

Health Tip: Keep Battery-Powered Devices Away From Kids

(HealthDay News) -- So-called "button" batteries power many of the devices that keep little ones interested, so it's important to take steps to protect kids from ingesting these batteries.

The Children's National Medical Center offers this advice for parents:

  • Restrict access to any devices that use "button" and larger batteries, including remote controls, flameless candles, musical cards and pocket calculators.

  • If you think your child may have swallowed a battery, seek immediate help from a medical professional. Do not induce vomiting or give your child any food or drink unless so advised by a medical professional.

  • Recognize symptoms of ingesting a battery, which may include coughing, drooling or discomfort.


Last Review Date: 01/01/0001
Copyright ©2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Doctors
Health Info
Services
Events
Videos
CareHub
Research
Donate Now
Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch our videos on YouTube