Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH) has partnered with Versant RN Residency to offer an 18-week nursing residency program to ACH new graduate Registered Nurses. This formalized residency program will greatly benefit its participants, the hospital and the patients, especially in the hospital's ongoing commitment toward quality and safety grounded in evidence-based practice.
1. Graduate from an accredited baccalaureate nursing program (BSN) .*
*ACH employees who were employed prior to Jan 1, 2014 and were enrolled in a non-BSN RN program as of Aug 2014 are eligible to be considered for positions. These individuals agree to enroll in a BSN program upon graduation
2. GPA 3.0 Preferred.
3. Selected candidates must pass the NCLEX and possess a permanent Arkansas or compact state RN license prior to the start of the residency.
Not eligible if current ACH employee with active PIP within past 12 months.
1. Positions for the February 2016 cohort will be posted on
September 14, 2015. Once positions are posted, ACH will accept 20 applications per position. Once 20 are received, the RN Resident position will be closed to allow time for application review. If there are not enough candidates who meet the job requirements, the RN Resident position will be re-opened to allow more candidates to apply. Applications will be accepted until
October 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm.
2. Candidates will be notified of selection for interviews beginning October 16, 2015.
3. ACH will schedule interviews for the weeks of October 26-30 & November 2-6.
4. Candidates will be notified of selection for positions the week of November 13, 2015.
1. Online Application
Submit at www.archildrens.org.
2. Essay Submitted with Online Application
* Submit essay in the Cover Letter section of your online application instead of cover letter.
1200 words or less addressing 3 questions:
Why do you want to be an ACH resident?
What makes you stand out from other candidates?
Describe how you demonstrate two of ACH's Behavioral Standards.
3. Current Nursing School Transcript
(Official or unofficial) to be mailed to:
ACH Nurse Residency
1919 West 12th Street
Little Rock, AR 72202
To be considered for an interview, ALL items listed above must be received no later than 4:30pm on October 9, 2015.
Once your application is received, a Recruiter will contact you with instructions on how to submit references via the online SkillSurvey process.
In order to complete this reference process in a timely manner, please apply as soon as possible.
ACH Versant RN Residency Program Details
How does the Versant RN Residency Program at ACH work? This 18 week comprehensive immersion program is composed of:
Education and Curriculum:
- Residents will attend a total of 4 weeks of classes during the 18 week program.
Guided Clinical Experience with Preceptor:
- Residents complete clinical shifts with preceptors throughout the 18 week program.
- Residents receive Looping Experiences to aid in the understanding of the patient's continuum of care and to develop relationships with staff members in other departments that interact frequently with their home department as well as other team members throughout the hospital.
- Residents participate in Mentoring sessions and circles that extend throughout the first year of professional practice.
- Residents participate in Debriefing sessions that assist with developing healthy coping strategies and foster a healthy-work-life balance.
Measurement and Evaluation:
- Residents will be required to complete at Performance Gap Analysis the first week in order to individualize their learning plan.
- Residents will complete evaluations throughout the program at weeks 1, 18, and 30.
- Post-Residency metrics will be collected annually for 5 years.
- All participants in the residency program (Preceptor, Mentor, Debriefer, Subject Matter Expert, Nurse Leaders, etc.) will be asked to provide feedback.
- All of the above data will be compiled into one aggregate report at the end of each cohort and presented to the organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours per week do the nurse residents work?
- Full time residency positions require 72 hours per two-week pay period for the full 52 weeks, which may include some weekends and holidays. The number of hours per week change to accommodate both classroom and clinical time.
Do I get vacation time during my residency?
- Residents will accrue the same vacation as all new nurses; however, the RN Residency is 18 weeks in length and requires full-time employment. Vacation or other activities requiring an absence is discouraged during this time period. Any scheduled time off will require approval of the hiring manager and residency coordinator prior to the start of the Residency.
What benefits does the residency program offer?
- All health care and retirement benefits offered to any new hire apply to those selected for the ACH Versant RN Residency Program.
What types of scrubs are allowed?
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or contact:
Julie Bane, MS, BSN, RN-BC
RN Residency Coordinator