Treating Oxidative Stress and the Metabolic Pathology of Autism - Phase 1 &
This study will look at whether targeted nutritional supplements can improve the health and behavior of autistic children. We are looking at the metabolic profile of children by looking at the results of blood tests to see how the body breaks down things like nutrients so they are useful to the body. There are two phases to this study:
Phase 1 - we get a small blood draw by a pediatric phlebotomist at the ACH lab and a medical history of the child. If the tests indicate that the child could benefit from targeted nutritional supplementations, he or she may qualify to take part in the next phase of the study.
Phase 2 - the eligible child from phase 1 would take part in a 9-12 month study which consists of 5 visits. The child would alternately take both nutritional supplements and placebos during this time period.
While there are no direct benefits to your child, he or she may help autistic children in the future. The participant will receive a total of $375 over the course of the study as a thank you for participating.
Phase 1 -
- Children from age 3 to less than 7 years
- Diagnosed with an autistic disorder per DSM-IV 299.0 by a physician.
- No single gene or chromosomal disorders (i.e. Down Syndrome, Fragile X or PKU)
- Not on high-dose vitamin, nutritional or herbal supplements (as determined by the principal investigator).
- Not receiving anti-folate medications or other medications known to interfere with the study results (as determind by the principal investigator)
- No severe GI distress
- No anticipated need for new treatment (meds, behavioral, nutrient) during phase 2.
Phase 2 -
- Successfully passed screening in phase 1 and determined to be eligible by the principal investigator.
Coordinator Contact Name and Number:
Hannah Feild tel: 501-364-4665