Arkansas Children's Hospital Careers About Arkansas Children's Hospital Contact Us News
Patients & Families Healthcare Professionals Supporters

Burn Prevention

Kitchen Safety

  • Use the back burners on the stove when possible and keep pot handles turned in where children can't reach them.
  • Don't set hot objects on the edge of the table or countertop where they can be pulled off by a child.
  • When cooking with grease, keep a lid that fits the pot close by, use long pot holders, and make sure there are no children or pets underfoot.
    • Do not use water or flour to snuff a grease fire, instead turn off the heat source and use the lid or an extinguisher if possible.
    • If there is a fire get out of the house FAST and call 911 from a neighbor's home.


Microwave Safety

  • Microwaved food can reach temperatures greater than boiling (100˚ C) without the appearance of bubbling. Microwave prepared foods heat quickly and cools slowly. Download our Microwave Wattage Guide.
  • NOTE: There are a few places to find your microwave's wattage: inside the door, under the microwave, behind the microwave, or your manufacturer's manual.
  • When you feel your child is old enough to safely use the microwave, make sure it is in an area where they can easily access it without having to reach or climb up on a chair.
  • Foods heat unevenly in the microwave; stir, cool, and test before eating!
  • View Microwave Temperatures

Water Heaters

Everyone is in danger of a hot tap water burn, but young children and older adults are even more susceptible. Young children just know they can turn the water on and off, if it's too hot they can get burned. Older adults may have problems with lack of sensation, loss of dexterity, and slower reactions.

  • Turn hot water heaters down to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. If your water heater doesn't have a temperature setting then look for the medium or warm setting, or maybe a silver line. Consult the manufacturer's instructions, or have a plumber set it for you.
  • Consider scald preventing bath fixtures.
  • After the tub is filled, put your entire hand in the water and move it quickly back and forth for several seconds. If the water feels even a little bit hot, then it is definitely too hot for your child. Use a thermometer to confirm the water is not too hot
  • Never leave your child alone in the bathtub. Children can turn on the water if left alone, and it only takes one second for hot tap water to burn a child.


Fireworks Safety


Fire Places / Space Heaters

Heating-related equipment such as space heaters is a leading cause of house fires and fire-related injuries and death. Be smart while using them!

  • Don't use an unsafe heater! If it is damaged in any way, place it out of service!
  • Place the heater on a level, hard, nonflammable surface
  • Keep children and pets away!
  • Keep the heater at least three feet away from bedding, curtains, furniture, and any other flammable materials.
  • Don't leave the heater on when you're gone or asleep.
  • Only use heaters designed for indoor use in your home or other enclosed area.
  • Use a screen when you light a fire in the fireplace.
  • Have your chimney and fireplace cleaned and inspected yearly.
  • Dispose of ashes appropriately.


Campfire Safety


Smoking

Smoking is a leading cause of house fires and associated burn injuries and deaths. If you want help to quit smoking call 800-QUIT-NOW or go to www.stampoutsmoking.com

  • Never smoke indoors! Have a designated smoking area outside with an ash bucket available, filled with sand or water.
  • If you never smoke indoors you can never fall asleep in the bed while smoking or drop ashes between the couch cushions causing injury to yourself or your home.
  • If you have children in your home, lock up your smoking materials where they can't access them.
  • Home oxygen use and smoking do not mix! Oxygen, even low-flow oxygen, is fuel for a fire that a cigarette can easily start. Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used!!!


Electrical Safety

Electrical hazards are everywhere! It's very easy for children to come into contact with electrical hazards unless we help protect them. Also, adults can easily get into trouble when they forget to respect electricity. Here are some tips to help keep you safe…and alive!

  • If there are infants and toddlers in the house, cover outlets or use child-safe outlets.
  • Be careful when using extension cords and power strips, it's easy to overload a circuit and start a fire.
  • Keep electrical cords out of reach of children and pets, they can pull appliances off of a counter or bite into the cords.
  • Take damaged electrical appliances out of service.
  • Never try to do your own electrical wiring unless you are qualified.
  • Be careful when working around power lines, especially when using ladders or long poles.
  • Be careful when using electricity.
The Burn Center
Arkansas Children's Hospital
1 Children's Way, Slot 210
Little Rock, AR 72202-3591

Call: 501-364-1323

Doctors
Health Info
Services
Events
Videos
Carehub
Research
Donate Now
Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch our videos on YouTube