CCHD Newborn Screening
Arkansas Children's Hospital has partnered together with other state institutions to implement Critical Congenital Heart Disease Screening for newborns in Arkansas using pulse oximetry. Numerous birthing facilities have already implemented this screening or are in the process of implementation. This site provides a general overview of resources for CCHD.
The pulse oximetry screening is a simple, non-invasive, bed side test that can be added to your workflow as an additional vital sign for newborns. The screening, which focuses on well-infants and intermediate care nurseries, detects the percentage of hemoglobin in the blood that is saturated with oxygen.
CCHD Screenings in Newborns with Pulse Oximetry: Demonstration of the use of the AAP algorithm to screen newborns for CCHD using pulse oximetry. 8-minute video is designed to assist clinicians who are interested in implementing screening as part of their standard of newborn care. Watch Now.
ONE Team: Detection of Critical Congenital Heart Disease in the Newborn with Pulse Oximetry, Dr. Robert Morrow and Mary Salazar. This presentation is geared towards implementing CCHD screening in the nursery. It discusses the steps to implementation and has practical application to nursery staff. Learn more.
PEDS PLACE: Detection of Critical Congenital Heart Disease in the Newborn with Pulse Oximetry. This presentation is a general overview of the endorsement of CCHD screening for newborns, the protocol for screening, and is geared towards medical staff education. Learn more.
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences: CCHD Screening Policy Download the policy.
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences: CCHD Screening Form Download the form.
- Children's National Medical Center, Congenital Heart Disease Screening Resources. Learn more.
- Congenital Heart Disease Screening Program Kit. Download more information.
- Instructions for obtaining list of pulse oximeters cleared by the FDA for use in neonates. Learn more.
- AAP: Strategies for Implementing Screening for Critical Congenital Heart Disease. Download more information.
- AAP: Endorsement of Health and Human Services Recommendation for Pulse Oximetry Screening for Critical Congenital Heart Disease. Download more information.
- AMCHP: Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs, Webinar and Presentation slides on Newborn Screening Recommendations for CCHD: Implications for State Programs. Learn more.
- Feasibility of Implementing Pulse Oximetry Screening for Congenital Heart Disease in a Community Hospital. Learn more.
- Screening of Newborn Babies: From Blood Spot to Bedside. Download more information.
- Pulse Oximetry Screening for Critical Congenital Heart Defects in Asymptomatic Newborn Babies: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Learn More.
Diana McDaniel, MPA CMPE
Alison Rose, MPH CHES