Will my child hurt?
Your child's comfort is important to you and a priority to us. Before ECMO is initiated your child will receive medication to prevent pain and to help them rest during the procedure. Once on ECMO, your child will receive medication to relax and prevent pain continuously and may receive additional doses of medication at times to help them relax. Family involvement is important because you know your child best. We will need your assistance to improve your child's comfort and in doing so assist your child to heal. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Allow your child periods to rest by decreasing noise, activity, and the number of visitors to the bedside.
- Bring your child's favorite music that may help to relax and comfort them.
- Comfort your child with a calm voice or touch.
- Leave a tape of your voice or another family member's voice to play for your child.
- Assist with care when the nursing staff feels it's is safe for your child.