PalCare is the palliative care program for patients treated at Arkansas Children's Hospital. Palliative care is for patients and families dealing with a serious life-limiting illness or condition and focuses on the following areas:
Comfort and support for the patient and family
- Quality of life for the patient and family
- Continuity of care
- Communication about treatment goals and choices
What can PalCare offer patients and families?
- Assistance with communication with the healthcare team regarding the patient's diagnosis, treatment options, comfort issues, quality of life and outlook for the future
- Better coordination of care for patients receiving care from different sources and services
- Increased focus on understanding and addressing patient and family concerns, support and comfort needs
- An advocate in the healthcare system to help look at where the patient's condition and treatment options fall in the "big picture" of the patient's life
- Support and assistance with making advance care plans for the patient when appropriate
Important points to understand about palliative care:
- Palliative care means helping the patient and family have a good life no matter how long life will be
- PalCare is not hospice
- Patients and families do not lose any treatment options when receiving palliative care services
- Patients do not have to make any advance care plans in order to receive palliative care services
- PalCare involvement and support is available for as long as needed and can also be stopped at any time at the patient and family's request
The PalCare Team
- Eve DeMontmollin, PalCare Specialty Nurse, 501-364-6657
- Kathy Lewellin, PalCare Social Worker, 501-364-6656
- Dr. Carrie Brown, PalCare Medical Director, 501-364-6658
- Dr. Sara Peeples, PalCare Physician, 501-364-6658
- Esther Pipkin, PalCare Child Life Specialist, 501-364-1436
- John Powers, PalCare Chaplain, 501-364-1815
- Brent Fairchild, PalCare Director, 501-364-1823
ACH staff from Pastoral Care and Child Life also work as part of the PalCare team to help meet the needs of the patient and family.
The doctors and treatment teams who follow a patient continue to follow a patient after PalCare joins the treatment team.
A PalCare team member is available by phone 24 hours a day at 501-364-6658 or call the ACH Operator at 501-364-1100 and ask that the PalCare team member on-call be paged.