Job Shadowing for High School Students (ages 16 and older)
The job shadowing program for high school students offers a once-a-month education and shadowing experience for individuals interested in learning about a specific area in health care. Students will be able to indicate their interests on the job shadowing application, and we will do our best to match the student up with an area of interest (potentially for 1-3 days of shadowing experience following the scheduled orientation). Students will have the opportunity to experience the hospital setting as well as some of the duties performed by the health care worker; however, students will not be permitted to take part in direct patient care.
Dates and Locations
High school students (ages 16 and older) will be required to attend a mandatory education session on the morning of your first scheduled shadowing experience. All education dates are listed on the shadowing application. You must be present for the entire session in order to participate in the program.
Observers at Arkansas Children's Hospital are expected to maintain an appearance of professionalism.
- Appropriate clothing includes pants/slacks, long skirts, dresses, blouses/shirts, and closed-toed shoes. Inappropriate clothing includes jeans, shorts, mini-skirts, tank-tops and sandals/flip-flops.
- All clothing must be appropriately fitted so you do not reveal skin when bending or reaching. Please do not wear clothes that inappropriately expose skin, including midriff tops and shirts with low necklines.
- Aside from earrings, jewelry may not be worn in any visible body piercing.
- Please do not use perfume, cologne or aftershave as patients are ill and/or on medication and may be sensitive to such products.
- Please do not chew gum and remember that ACH is a smoke-free campus - therefore, use of tobacco products is prohibited.
Arkansas Children's Hospital is happy to offer this job shadow program and want our participants to have a positive learning experience. Please remember that as a job shadow participant, you will be a guest and will be expected to act in a courteous and respectful manner.
Arkansas Children's Hospital is a non-smoking facility. This means that smoking is not permitted on the campus.
If you will be driving on the day(s) of your shadowing experience, you should park in the Green, Purple or Blue crayon lots located directly in front of the hospital's main entrance (this parking is designated for patients and visitors).
If you will be dropped off on the day(s) of your shadowing experience, please look at the
ACH campus map to coordinate a drop-off/pick-up location.
During your job shadowing experience, you will not need a purse, backpack, mobile phone or MP3 player. Please lock all of these items in the trunk of your car or leave them at home.
If you are interested in applying for our shadowing program, please click here to complete the application. Please note that all documents and requirements must be complete before submitting the application.
Please click here to view our Frequently Asked Questions.