Animal Assisted Therapy Requirements
Therapeutic Animal Interventions Lift Spirits (TAILS)
TAILS volunteers are certified therapy dogs and their owners who visit hospitalized patients. In addition to owners meeting standard volunteer requirements, all TAILS volunteers must adhere to the following:
- Dogs must be older than one year and housebroken.
- Dogs must be certified by Pet Partners, and certifications updated on a regular basis.
- An annual medical screening, dog history and behavior screening form must be completed by the owner and veterinarian. Download the TAILS Behavioral Screening Form.
- Dogs must receive routine flea/tick and heartworm prevention treatments.
- Dogs must be bathed 48 hours prior to a visit and groomed/brushed on the day of visit.
When visiting the hospital the dog and handler will be met at the front entrance of the hospital. The dog will be crated to go into the hospital and taken out of the crate upon arrival at their destination. Scheduling and placing of TAILS volunteers is completed after fulfillment of requirements.
For questions regarding the Animal Assisted Therapy Program contact the
Child Life and Education Department at (501) 364-1412.