The ACH Junior Volunteer Program introduces high school students (ages 14-18) to the world of volunteering and health care careers. Junior volunteers gain new skills, meet new people, and help make a difference in the community!
Summer 2015 Program Information
Summer application packets will be available beginning February 2, 2015.
The Summer Junior Volunteer program deadline is April 1, 2015 (NEW! Due to the inclement weather, we have extended the deadline - we will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled). We still encourage you to request a packet and return it as early as possible, as positions are limited. After returning the completed packet, if the volunteer is selected to move forward, an interview with the applicant and parent/guardian is required.
If you are able to answer yes to the following questions, please call Volunteer Services at 501-364-1812 or email Sandy Burrow (BurrowSS@archildrens.org) to request an application packet (beginning February 2):
- Will you be at least 14 by April 1st?
- Are you able to volunteer Monday through Friday for your assigned shift?
- Are you able to commit to a mandatory orientation and training?
- Will you be able to complete the program requirements?
- Complete volunteer application and packet
- Proof of two separate TB skin test results
- Two references
- Adhere to the rules and regulations
During the summer program, Junior Volunteers come in for a half day of service (Monday through Friday). Three 2-week sessions are available for the summer:
Session 1: June 16-26 (start date will be June 16 due to LRSD snow make-up days)
Session 2: July 6-17
Session 3: July 20-31
Camp WannaCode 2015
Attention High School Students! Can't volunteer, but interested in computer programming? Join Arkansas Children's Hospital programmers in the Systems Development Group for Camp WannaCode - a camp designed for students (ages 14-18) who are interested in computer programming and design. Camp WannaCode will take place from July 20-24 from 8:30am-4:30pm each day. Students enrolled in camp will rotate through our three course offerings. Visit
www.campwannacode.com to review more details and submit your application!
Special Project Program Information
(Monthly Group Projects)
Are you looking for a way to help? ACH Volunteer Services can utilize Junior Volunteers (ages 14-18) to help with various non-patient contact projects. One Saturday a month (October, November, January, February, March and April), Volunteer Services will have various projects for teenagers to work on. These projects will not involve contact with patients - but will keep students busy by helping us assemble packets, sort/organize areas, and various other clerical projects.
Application packets for this special project program will be available beginning August 1 (available through January before the deadline).
- Will you be at least 14 by September 15th?
- Will you be able to commit to volunteering at least two Saturdays?
- Specific dates will be given to you once your information has been received. We will have one Saturday scheduled a month (in October, November, January, February, March and April).
- Will you be able to complete the special project program requirements?
- Complete Volunteer application and packet
- Two letters of reference
- Obtain a flu shot (during flu season)
- Adhere to the rules and regulations
If you are able to answer yes to the previous questions, please call Volunteer Services at 501-364-1812 or email Sandy Burrow (BurrowSS@archildrens.org) to request an application packet for the special project program. Applications for this program will be accepted between August 1 and January 30 (this deadline ensures you will be able to meet the minimum requirement of coming at least 2 Saturdays throughout the year).
Other Ways to Help
If you that cannot commit to a regular schedule, you can help with special projects off-campus. Click here to read about ways you can help. Helping with off-campus special projects is an excellent way to get service hours or to get your school or club involved.
Questions about the Junior Volunteer Program?
Contact Sandy Burrow