Browse the information below to learn how to help your child during surgery & and his or her stay at Arkansas Children's Hospital.Prepare Your Child
- Let your child play doctor using play medical toys and one of your child's stuffed animals or dolls
- Play hospital
- Read stories, or watch videos about going to the hospital.
- Draw pictures about the Hospital.
- Check out our Fun & Games page to print coloring pages & more.Questions to Ask
It is important to ask questions of your doctor before and after surgery. You may have questions of your own, but here are a few questions you may like to ask.
- Can my child eat or drink before surgery? The answer is no.
- How many hours before surgery will my child have to stop eating?
- How many hours before surgery will my child have to stop drinking?
- Will my child be awake during surgery?
- Can my child take their stuffed animal or blanket with them?
- Will my child need pain medicine after surgery?
- Will my child have to be out of school or have limited physical activities after surgery?About Your Child
- What name does your child like to go by?
- Does your child have special needs, like hearing or vision?
- Does your child have any allergies?
- Is your child taking any medications?
- Tell us about worries that you or your child may have.
- Are there things at the hospital that scare your child?What To Expect
Remember…children do best when they know what to expect:
- When talking to your child about going to the hospital, be clear and use words they can understand.
- The older the child the farther in advance you can tell them about coming to the hospital. For younger children (3 years old) wait until the day before to talk to them about going to the hospital.
- Be honest with your child and make sure you are giving them information appropriate for their age.
- Check out Scouting out Surgery and let your child explore the hospital before they come. Watch the demo.Schedule a Tour
To schedule a pre-admission tour, call the Child Life & Education Department This will help you and your child learn more about what it will be like at the hospital.
Call us at (501) 364-1412.Packing List
Find out more about your CareHub System at www.myCarehub.org and set up
- Stuffed Animals
- Favorite Toys, Dolls, Games
- Favorite Sippy Cup
- Blanket, Pillow, Pajamas, Slippers, Slipper-socks
- Favorite DVD Movies
- Xbox360TM Video Games (Your CareHub System is equipped with an Xbox360TM)
a free account. Before you arrive, you can upload your OWN photos and music
to play in your room and set up accounts so you can have a message board and
chat online with your friends and family from your room at ACH!
Questions? Call us at (501) 364-1412.