What Is Stress?
Stress is the body's reaction to harmful situations - whether they’re real or perceived. Our bodies are designed to handle small doses of stress, but we are not equipped to handle long-term, chronic stress without ill effects.
Clear and physical signs of stress:
- Upset stomach
- Increase in blood pressure and heart rate
- Decrease in immunity
How Can I De-stress?
- Meditate. Take a good deep breath, quiet your thoughts and let the stress melt away.
- Exercise. Incorporate regular physical activity into your daily routine.
- Laugh. Watch a funny show or movie. Give yourself time for laughter every day!
- Take Time for Yourself. Make time to do something you enjoy. It may be going for a walk or making that connection with friends that you have not talked to in a while.
- Unplug. Turn those cell phones and electronics off.
Stress is a part of life. What matters most is how you handle it. The best thing you can do to prevent stress overload and the health consequences that come with it is to know your stress symptoms.